Monday, October 6, 2008

Unit 1 SELF AND UNIT EVALUATION

SELF AND UNIT EVALUATION
1. What were the three aspects of the assignments I've submitted that I am most proud of?

Firstly, I was very proud of my analysis of the religious aspects to genetic engineering in my ethics essay. I felt that I did a good job presenting the idea and making them understandable. Second, I was proud of the organization of my compendium review, while it needed more information and to be a bit clearer, I am found of the structure and will copy it in the future. Third, I was proud of my ingenuity in building the cell model. It was fun to find the different component and I feel I was creative in choosing my materials.

2. What two aspects of my submitted assignments do I believe could have used some improvement?

Well first, I need to get things done on time. That is my biggest challenge is finding time, and then when I do find time to not burn out. My lack of time makes my assignments not as thorough as they should be and not as neat and well organized either. I also need to work on expanding my explanations. It is like learning to write all over again, I have to do what seems to me to be over explaining because science is so complex.

3. What do I believe my overall grade should be for this unit?

It should be a C. I would love to say that I deserve better, but I don’t. Half my work was late, and while I thought I was thorough and following the directions at the time I submitted many of the assignments, it turns out that was not the case.

4. How could I perform better in the next unit?

I have to make sure that I set aside some time everyday to study and work on my assignments and not allow myself to get behind. Ideally I would like to be able to get ahead.

REGARDING THE UNIT (adapted from Stephen Brookfield, University of St. Thomas "Critical Incident Questionnaire")

1. At what moment during this unit did you feel most engaged with the course?

While learning about the mitochondria. I read a book when I was in junior high that involved mitochondria and have been fascinated with it ever since. It was great to learn more about how the mitochondria work and its functions.

2. At what moment unit did you feel most distanced from the course?

While trying to put together my compendium review, it required a lot of success and research, and while I was interested when I was reading and watching the lecture, when it was time to put it all together I had to really work on staying focused.

3. What action that anyone (teacher or student) took during this unit that find most affirming and helpful?

Most helpful was looking over other student’s work, when I wasn’t sure about formatting of assignments, or what exactly I was supposed to do. It is nice to have an example at my figure tips.

4. What action that anyone (teacher or student) took during this unit did you find most puzzling or confusing?

I can’t really think of anything. I think I was most confused by my compendium review and how to put it together.


5. What about this unit surprised you the most? (This could be something about your own reactions to the course, something that someone did, or anything else that occurs to you.)

I was surprised at the format of the course. I am not used to not using blackboard for an online class, so using the other applications was surprising and took some getting used to. But I like it now.

No comments: